As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mumbai!

My fears were unfounded, as I predicted - I should have gone to Mumbai for the full weekend as planned.  I would have enjoyed it even by myself.

Yes Mumbai is huge and crowded, but it is a modern city.  Compared to Ahmedabad, it is a breeze to manuver as an American, as long as you have enough time to sit in traffic for a bit.  Signs (e.g. auto stand from airport) are well marked in english, and the lower working class seems much more comfortable with english than in Ahmedabad.  Westerners are more prevalent, so I was not stared at.  Mumbai seems lively and interesting.  A good place to live... ????  Only thing I wonder if it is too westernized.  I came to India to experience something completely different.  If I just want a great city, I can return to Philly.

I arrived during Janmashtami (Krishna festival, see pics).  There was a celebration close to the company guesthouse that I was staying.  I walked over and observed.  They make a human pyramid to break a hanging pot.  It is fun for all, despite some people getting hurt falling from failed human pyramids (I saw a nasty broken ankle).

My work function the next day was good too, but no one wants to hear about corporate yadda yadda.


Crowd observing

Another pyramid about to start.  Not much to see here except the awesome stache on the guy in the lower right corner


 Some red liquid poured from the broken pot onto the kid, now we celebrate!




No comments:

Post a Comment