As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Crash! and boredom...

I wasn't sure whether or not to even blog about my small crash.  Some of you will worry too much about me.  But I should tell all...

Went out on my regular Sunday bike ride, just going up and down random roads for an hour or so.  I try to pick new roads every time.  Ahmedabad is a city of 5 million, so there are many roads that are still untravelled by me.  I use the sun to judge my direction, and usually make a big mishapen circle route ending back at home.

One new road that I took was heavily travelled and under construction, so the road was narrowed.  I was passing a bike to my left when they decided to take a right turn.  A family of 3 was on this bike (don't be surprised, I have seen 4 grown men on a bike before).  The woman on the back signaled the right turn but without any lead time.  I didn't have time to stop safely and I just veered right and hit them.  Thank goodness oncoming traffic stopped and didn't hit us.

I took off their mirror.  We all stopped and they looked at me like I was an idiot.  But we all just drove off without a fight or exchanging insurance info.  This is the indian way.

Other than that I am getting a little bored on weekends.  Work is fun and a nonstop source of entertainment (good and bad).  When I travel on the weekends to various parts of India, I am so happy.  (I have a pending post about my great village trip to Uttar Pradesh village, but am waiting for pictures).  When I am stuck in Ahmedabad it gets boring.  My friends here either hang out with family, go out for coffee/dinner, or go out to movies.  The american movies that come to India are usually only the worst ones (only Harry Potter and Indian vs. Aliens in the theaters now).  I am thinking that maybe a job switch to Mumbai would solve this problem.  We will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment