As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Weekend Trip #2

Trip 2:  Nainital

Yet another hill station!  For someone who prefers city vacations to nature vacations, I sure have been to a lot of hill stations (to my american friends, hill station = mountain resort).  This was a trip planned by my friends, so I didn't get any say in the destination.  I was just happy to tag along and see something new.

Just getting to and from Nainital is a blog worthy tale.  First took a sleeper train ticket from Ahmedabad to Delhi.  Almost missed the train due to late friends, heavy rain, heavy traffic, and an auto that broke down halfway to railway station.  The good auto driver helped us by running into traffic to flag a new auto.  Because it was a holiday weekend (India independence day), there was crazy traffic on the drive from Delhi to Nainital.  The 5 hour journey took 10 hours.  The crazy driver hit 3 other cars during the whole trip, at least making the journey interesting (and scary at times).

On the way back, heavy rains caused a sink-hole on the small road that our hotel was on.  We actually saw a car attempt to drive through the sink-hole (it was filled with water and fooled the driver into thinking it was a shallow hole).  Half the car went right into the hole!  There was no alternate road from the hotel to the main road, so we could not leave at the desired time.  I was worried that it would take days for a city road crew to come out and repair it.  Of course, Indians are resourseful and helpful, so within hours random citizens worked together to lift the car out, fill the sinkhole with bricks and rocks, and direct traffic safely.  We were on our way.

Halfway down the mountain we had to stop for 4 hours while a landslide was cleared by bulldozers.  We were able to watch them work.  Once again, it amazed me how fast they worked.  Probably it had something to do with not taking the proper safety precautions, but all got cleared without issue.  Later we had to backtrack 40km due to a washed out bridge.  I saw a truck tip over that ventured too close to the edge of a road.  Needless to say, I missed my flight home from Delhi to Ahmedabad, but got a flight the next day.  Unlike in US, any flight can be cancelled up to 2 hours before the departure, and all money will be refunded except 750 rupees ($17).  Granted, $17 is not inconsequential for my Indian income, but it is not a huge deal.

I wish I could have take pics of the sinkhole and mudslide, but my camera was already packed.

The mountain and lakes were beautiful.  We had fun sight-seeing, eating, and drinking.  We stopped in Delhi to celebrate Rakhi with Pranav's sister.  This is a holiday that a sister ties a bracelet on her brother and gives him gifts.

I did have some frustrations with my friends though, and I'm sure they were frustrated with me too.  They are masters of English, but Hindi is their first language, and I did feel left out of the conversation many times.  They will hardly walk anywhere, and taking the car in this overcrowded city often takes more time than walking.  But for me, walking around makes me feel good, and allows me to take in the city and the people in a way that you can't from a car.  Of course, they are indian, and experiencing the "people of india" is something they have done their whole life - so I understand.  I went out on my own a little and had the experience that I wanteded.  I just hope I wasn't so moody that they will withhold their invitation next time.

Rakhi festivities

Traffic Jam, yes, people travel on top of buses













No comments:

Post a Comment