As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Expat Dinner

I found a facebook group "Ahmedabad Expats" and joined.  Tonight we had a group dinner, and 12 people went.  Most people were meeting each other for the first time.  It was a good mix of American, UK, and Scandinavian.  Most had been in India for ~1 year, but spanned from 2 weeks to 5 years.

It was really nice to compare stories with other people living in India as expats, laughing about some of the funny things that Indians do.  I think a few will even become good friends here (a swedish born indian girl and a danish couple seem to have strong friend potential).  I will certainly go out for expat dinners on a regular basis now.

There were some people there that I have found to be your "typical expat", and not at all the type that I want to spend time with.  Most were living outside the city, in gated communities with all the amenities.  They have cars and drivers, play golf on weekends, would not dream of eating street food, and don't really have any indian friends.  There is nothing wrong with having money, but one shouldn't shut themselves off from having some local experiences.  What a waste to come halfway around the world and just live in a bubble mimicing the western world.

Did meet 2 guys that went to Ohio State, ugh!

I did have some excellent dim sum.  In India!  Who would have thought???

No comments:

Post a Comment