As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mumbai?

I am very dissapointed with myself.

I have been looking for an opportunity to get to Mumbai.  Any opportunity.  As I said before, it is a lively world-class city, and may be somewhere that I'd like to live before my stint in India is over (if it has an end anyway).  However, I don't want to consider moving there without visiting first.  Many Indians have warned me against moving there due to traffic/crowds/high cost of living.  However, I know that my preferences and interests often leave my Indian friends a little stumped, so I have decided to make up my own mind.

Lucky me got the opportunity, and an opportunity at no cost to me.  I have a work meeting at our Mumbai site on Tuesday.  With Monday being a holiday, that meant I could spend the long weekend in Mumbai, and flights would be paid for.

Unfortunately I don't really know anyone in Mumbai.  There were a few friends of friends, and one aquaintence, but nothing panned out.  I moved to India by myself, so I shouldn't be afraid to do some sight-seeing by myself.  But it seems that I have just run out of energy.  I am sick of being out of my element, being stared at, and of being unfamilar with my surroundings without the communication skills to figure out what to do.  I am very comfortable now in Ahmedabad.  But when I do NEW things, even here, I like to have someone with me to help.  Even if I was with another confused American it would be ok, that way I have someone to talk to and laugh with.

Not to mention Mumbai monsoon is much worse than Ahmedabad, and I hate rain.

So I will fly into Mumbai Monday night, do my work, then return immediately.  I regret my decision already.  Hopefully I will return soon, with a friend, after monsoon is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment