As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

RTO

Finally I decided to get my drivers license.  I asked 10 different people about the process, and got 10 different answers.  Nothing is simple here.  I decided to take a morning off work and go to the RTO (Regional Transport Office) and just see what happened.  A coworker gave me the name/number of an "agent" that could meet me there and help out.  I was hoping to get a license immediately, based on my US license, but was not at all sure that would happen.  It was possible that I'd have to get a Learner's License and return later for a driving test before a real license was granted.

This place was a chaotic madhouse.  I should have taken pics.  There were 6 lines that I had to stand in, and at least 10 other lines for other purposes.  Outside there were more lines with people taking driving tests for cars, bikes, and auto rickshaws.  No signs anywhere, in any language, about who should queue in which line for which purpose.

The "agent" charged me about 10 times what he would charge an indian for his services.  I only found this out later.  I am still a little naive in this sense.  However, his services were extremely valuable, getting me into the front of lines, and maybe granting me certain favors (I'm sure a large cut of his fees went to the government officials running the place).

In the end, I got my car license without the need for a driving test or learners license.  Usually in India, a car license automatically comes with a the right to drive a bike.  Unfortunately, the official looked at the website from the PA state website and saw that my class C license did not cover bikes.  So he made a special recommendation that my license covers car, but not bike.  Of course, I plan to ride a bike here.  So I will have to return to the RTO in a month and take a bike driving test, then my license will be updated.  However, now that I have a car license, I feel like I will be fine if I get pulled over by a traffic cop.

No comments:

Post a Comment