As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cooking Dinner

As some of you know, I'm not much of a cook.  I liked to make a main dish once a week in US, like chicken cordon bleu.  During the week I had more convenient options:  veg burger with marinara sauce, Lean Cuisine, tuna torilla wrap, etc.  These things are full of preservatives, but still healthy.  Here it is more difficult.

I have been surviving on maggi and pasta for dinners in India.  Maggi is basically Ramen Noodles, and the pasta I eat is similar to Kraft Mac&Cheese.  Not healthy at all...  The problem is that the items that I desire aren't available in the grocery store.  First of all, the big grocery stores are 100% veg.  No tuna, chicken, eggs, anything (except milk and yogurt). Second, there is junk food and basic ingredients only.  There is no in-between.  Either I eat crap or I have to make entrees from scratch like a housewife (and of course I don't have the time or skills for the latter).  After my US visit, after enjoying all of my favorite tasty and quality foods, I couldn't bear to go back to pasta/maggi.  Something had to change.

After returning I bought an omlette pan and found out where to buy eggs.  The fantastic vegatable/fruit market right by my flat is a great advantage for me.  I will be able to make tasty omlettes for dinner from now on.  It is good protein for me, since my cafeteria serves only veg options.

In addition, I have found small nearby restaurant nearby that will sell rotis to go (roti = thin flat bread, like a tortilla).  I can buy these and eat some with packaged subje or leftovers.  I also have taken a liking to frankies.  Most of you won't know what I'm talking about, but come to visit and I will show you.

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment