As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Women in India

First, an addition to my last blog:  Indians can learn from americans something about keeping a bathroom clean.  Even in high end restaurants, I go into a bathroom and it looks like an alien just gave birth in there before I entered.  Even in people's homes it can be like that.  I think it might have something to with the prevalance of housekeepers in India.  Since no one cleans their own bathroom, residents don't bother to try and be neat when using the bathroom.  And since housekeepers here only do the minimum standard of job required to not get fired, no one knows what it is like to have a truly clean bathroom...

I digress...

I have come to learn something about myself living here.  That is, if someone says I can't or shouldn't do something, it makes me want to do it even more.  This is especially true when it comes to men vs. women.  Here in India, there are many things that women are not expected to do.  I will divide them into categories.

Rules for women in India that I follow:
  1. Do not expose too much skin.  I never wear shorts, skirts, or show cleavage.  Of course, I didn't do this in the US either, so I shouldn't say that I am being purposefully PC.
  2. Do not talk to random men.  At first when coming here I would keep to myself but engage in converstation if anyone spoke to me.  I figured people were curious and friendly.  Now I know to smile and walk away if a guy starts talking to me.  The guys are harmless but annoying, and definitely are not looking to discuss international politics.
Rules for women in India that I relish ignoring:
  1. Women do not drink.  I was so pissed when I went to Mt. Abu and was told not to go to the beer store because I am a woman.  I hold my head high when going to the alcohol store now.  Keep in mind that drinking is illegal here, but I got my consumption license because I am a foreigner.  I was embarrassed at first, but with a little confidence and determination I can now joke around with the workers.  Also, I don't bother triple bagging my trash when it contains beer bottles now.
  2. At work and in a society, a woman should only socialize with the other women.  What the crap is this?  This leads to a lack of bonding with coworkers, and a general view that women are not equals (especially since women in technical roles are only about 10% of the workforce).  And the conversation at the women's lunch table is the most boring converstaion that I could ever imagine.  Nothing but food, husbands, food, inlaws, food, movies, and food.
  3. Don't lift heavy things or put yourself in any "danger".  Some people like being treated like royalty, not me.  I want to lift my own water bottles and hang off the back of a 6-seater auto.
  4. Give up career ambitions in order to have babies.  Nothing else to say on this point.
  5. Move in with your in-laws.  Hahahhaahahaha
  6. Don't drive a motorcycle.  I bought a motorcycle today!!!!  Women do drive scooters, but I will be a an anomaly driving a bike.  This would be a big enough challenge in the US, but in India with the crazy (lack of) traffic rules, this will be a challenge and a half.  I have only about 1 hour of total bike riding experience in my life total, but I will practice every day.



2 comments:

  1. I love the "hahahahaha!" after the move in with your in laws. :)
    And, i too, find the women's conversation to be not as interesting as the men's. I think as western women we are in a strange place, as Indian men treat us differently than their Indian women. Jas's friends would totally accept me on a boys' drinking night, but an Indian woman wouldn't be allowed.
    It is fun being able to break the rules! I am glad you got a motorcycle and not a scooter. Maybe some young Indian girl will see you and be inspired and demand one for herself. :) I don't understand why they think that women can't do the same things as men!
    I could talk forever on this topic....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that the limitations on women are self-imposed. That to me is the saddest thing. Living on my own, I guess I may never really know what kind of pressure is imposed on Indian girls from the family. This is one of my favorite topics too, along with arranged marriages!

    ReplyDelete