As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My saddest day so far

Today was my coworker Pankaj's last day at my work, and that made today a very sad day for me.  I have seen 10% of my coworkers quit since I have started (in only 4 months).  It is part of the reality of Indian Pharma companies.  It is troublesome in a work-sense, but this time it was not just a smart and experienced coworker leaving - it was a good friend.

Pankaj is my equivalent from the other main department, another group leader in formulation (I am in analytical).  We work as a team in almost all of my projects.  We met back when I visited India for work a year ago, and have worked closely since I arrived here to work.  He was so good in patiently explaining to me about how things are done at this company, and taught me a lot about formulation as well.  But more importantly he has been a good friend, talking to me when other people just stare.  He sat next to me when others avoided me like I had the flu.  He joked with me about the boss, about our clients, and made me feel like I was just another friend - not an outsider.

It will surely embarrass him to read this!  Sorry Pankaj.

My coworkers didn't take this as hard as I did.  They are accustomed to seeing coworkers and friends leave.  However, I still only have a handful of good friends in this country, so it is tough.  In addition, the pharma world is a small one in India, like it is in the US.  Others at work may end up working with Pankaj in a few years, but I will likely never see him again.

On the lighter side, it is EXPENSIVE to leave a job.  Even thought the new company pays for relocation, they won't reimburse for all the parties!  When you announce you are accepting a new job, you throw a party.  Then you take out your group of friends for a nice dinner - and pay.  Then on your last day, you throw a party at work for your department and close coworkers.  A bus party is also required.  In the US, others would throw the party for you, but I like it better the Indian way.  It dissuades people from leaving, just a little bit.  :)

Another funny thing.  During the work party, as expected, everyone close to the departing colleague gives a short speech.  The unusual thing is that people give negative as well as positive feedback to the guy leaving.  In the US, there would be a separate forum (or none at all) to discuss the faults of the guy.  It is so strange to have a guy get a new job, he buys food and beverage for all of his coworkers, only to listen to them tell him what his professional and personal flaws are!  But I am starting to appreciate the honesty of this country.

I just hope that everyone in my circle of friends at work doesn't leave too soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment