As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Ummmm, you have a monkey

My friend Ravi invited me to his Dad's flat for lunch with his extended family.  I was trying my best to be a good guest and not do anything stupid.  We were eating when out of the corner of my eye I saw the tail of ther cat as it walked into the living room.  Then I thought, "Wait a minute, these guys don't have a cat.  No one has pet cats in India".

So I adjusted my seat to get a clear view.  Right behind my Ravi's Dad was a large monkey, sitting and looking at me.  I thought, "Is it possible that these guys have a pet monkey, and failed to tell me about it?".  This seemed unlikely, but I didn't want to scream and look like an idiot if this was their pet.  Casually, I said, "Umm, excuse me, you have a monkey?"  It was half-question half-statement.

Ravi's Dad, brother, sis-in-law, and neice don't English and just stared blankly at me.  Ravi had a mouthful of food, and he tried to finish chewing before trying to tell me that, no, they do not have monkey.  I pointed at the monkey.  Only then did everyone jump out of their chair in fright, and excitedly the brave ones chaised the monkey out the bedroom window.

After the event, they laughed about how calmly I just said, "Ummm, you have a monkey".  I guess I should trust my instincts.  A monkey in a living room is perhaps surprising in any country.

In other monkey learnings:  my coworker Biswa says that monkeys will slap you if make them mad, They hang out on the roofs of all the high rises, and they will dance if you play music for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment