As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Monday, May 23, 2011

my new bike

My "new" bike is not new.  Although it is a 2005, by Indian standards that is ancient.  I think the road and weather conditions are so rough that bikes don't usually last 10 years, if that.

So I have wanted a scooter for the last 2 years.  However, it just didn't make sense to have one in Philly.  I tried driving a scooter in Ankleshwar a month ago.  It was super fun, so I was revitalized to get one.  Then 2 weekends ago my fiend Krupal let me try driving his bike.  This was my first tme driving a real motorcycle.  I was not a great student, but I was able to drive.

So on a whim this weekend I decided to buy a bike, a real one!  I found some used bike dealers in the old city using justdial.com.  I took a friend with me and picked a small old bike.  As expected, everyone encouraged me to get a scooter instead of a bike, or at least a newer bike that would be easier to manage.  I said no!  I want an old beater!

So I drove for 3 hours in the last 2 days.  Some with a friend on the back (good for signalling turns and telling me when to go through intersections), and some alone (easier to manage bike without the extra weight).  I got hot (it is 110F here), dirty, and sunburned, but it was so much fun.  So far I have taken mostly left turns only, to avoid going through large intersections (traffic lights are just suggestions here).  I love that everyone laughs and waves at me, since I am a whitey.  Even when I stall in intersections, the people just laugh and drive around.  I am given forgiveness for my poor skills since I am so obviously not from here.

I have trouble starting the bike (it is a kick start), and trouble getting it into neutral.  I tipped the bike over once when I was taking it off the stand, but I am strong enough to pick it back up.  If I were in the US, I would have no trouble driving around, but the "rules" are different here.  I hope I get better at it.  I also have no license yet, no helmet yet.  I make sure to carry a few hundred rupees whenever I ride, as that is the way to handle trouble if a cop stops me.  :)

I am badass!

No comments:

Post a Comment