As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Virus!

I still have not gotten sick here in India (except when I drank old milk), which defies all logic.  One would have thought that the kind of "bugs" here would be new to my immune system, and I would spend my first year getting sick all the time.  However, not even one cold or flu.  Even in the US I got sick at least twice per year, so it is a big surprise.

Before coming to India I got all sorts of vaccines and warnings (don't eat street food, don't eat cut vegetables, only drink bottled water, use insect repellent).  I have not followed any of these warnings.  This is my home now, I can't live in a bubble.  I was beginning to think that all the warnings were due to paranoia and hype.

As it turns out there were thousands of malaria cases in Ahmedabad during Aug/Sep.  My coworker's grandfather got malaria (mosquito borne).  My friend here got Chikungunya (insect borne) this week.  A coworker in Indore got typhoid (water borne) in August, and is still suffering with fever and joint/organ pain.  An expat from Denmark in my area got Dengue fever (insect borne) this month.  These are all well-off people, who live in similar neighborhoods/flats as me with similar lifestyles/eating habits.  In fact my eating habits are probably worse as I eat street food with abandon.

I am not sure if I am willing to change my lifestyle, but I may opt to at least get my immunizations up to date next time I visit US.

Not kidding, I just not now got bitten by a mosquito...

No comments:

Post a Comment