As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Udaipur, Navratri, and other...

ANOTHER festival, Navratri, where I celebrated at coworkers home.  Basically 9 days of dancing with very gaudy traditional costume required.  It was fun to shop for the dress at the outdoor markets, with my indian girl friends driving a hard bargain for me (2500 rupees down to 700).  My coworker's wife and sister-in-law helped me dress and let me borrow jewelry.

Also travelled to Udaipur, Rajastan by bus for a weekend adventure.  Pics of both below.  I do love India, but I can understand from a blog reader's point of view that all these trips and festivals must look the same...

As I was coming home from Navratri celebration last night, my bike stopped working.  It was 3 am, but there were lots of people on the road due to the festivities.  As always, people immediately stopped to help.  I thought I was out of petrol, but my spark plug was malfunctioning.  People here are good at knowing how to fix things with the most basic tools, and I was on my way in no time.  However, even with a bike tuneup being done recently, I have constant trouble with my bike.  It is fun to have such an old bike.  I kind of like taking it to the shop all the time, as it gives me a way to be involved with the real people of india.  However, I am worried for my safely on the road.  I really need a more reliable bike.  But what if I leave this place in 6 months?  Should I really buy a new bike now?






No comments:

Post a Comment