As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Its a small (pharma) world, and Goa

My company is a CRO/CMO (contract research/manufacturing org), so we get a lot of client visits (current and prospective clients).  It amazes me how many visitors work with people that I have also worked with.  It is a much smaller world, in this industry, than I would have figured.

I just met a Genentech guy who works with my ex-Pfizer friend Jack.  I have met Pfizer Animal Health guys who worked with me and Dennis/Sunil from PAH Kalamazoo.  My former Merck colleague Pete joined a company in NJ, and his new boss came to my company.  Also one of my current colleagues previously worked at my old Merck site.

I have surprised myself recently with my schmoozing ability.  At first I hated the client visits, I just wanted to get back to the "science", project work.  But lately, it has become more fun to do the business activities.  Chatting it up about industry trends, "oh I also know so-and-so person", considering project costs and profits, all have gone from dull to interesting for me.  Who would have thought?

On a separate note, now that SNOW has come to Philly, I am not feeling homesick at all.  Weather is beautiful here.  My hindi is improving.  All in all, I am pretty happy here these days.

Went to Goa for Diwali.  What a lovely place.  Heavily influenced by Portugal, which is still apparent in the arcitechture and prevalence of christianity (including lovely old churches).  It is so christian that you can actually eat beef here!!  But I did not.  I ate some great fish curry though, a nice alternative to my usual diet, as quality fish is hard to come by in Ahmedabad.  The beaches are great, but not as good as Carribean.  I also helped teach my friend Vipin how to swim.  Can you believe only a small portion of the Indian population knows how to swim?  It was funny for me to teach a grown man to tread water.

Our beach hut, right on the water






1 comment:

  1. hi u r so beautiful and nice person i know nice places and beuti in bombay if u become want be friend in nice manner pls contact rahul.ptl2@gmail.com or 9224162820

    ReplyDelete