As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Friday, September 23, 2011

Ganesha Chaturthi

Yet another festival in India.  It only surprises me where there is a day without a festival in India.

I won't get into the religious details or significance, but this was the culmination of a 10 day celebration of the Hindu God Ganesha.  My friends (like many Hindus) made a temporary temple for Ganesha in their home.  On the last day, they perform a ritual in the home (all the neighbors were invited).  Then make the procession (on tractors) to the river with the idol, with ample stops for drumming/dancing/eating sweets/playing with colors (like in Holi), then release Ganesha into the river.

It was loads of fun!  I saw a couple of other westerners there, but I was the only one that came with a group of Indians.  It is better to participate than just observe, especially with such a fun group of friends like I have.





















No comments:

Post a Comment