As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The final post

This is my rudest post yet.  My patience has run out, and it shows.  Hopefully the reader can understand that I am just frustrated.  Please see the humor in my rant, and don't take it too personally (Indians)...

Whenever someone visits a new country, or moves away from a home city, typically they will be asked the question, "what was the best part of location-X" or "what will you miss most"?  The most common answer is, "the people".

My answer is different, opposite even.  I loved India from the very moment I arrived.  I loved the colors, the food, the festivals, the ingenuity.  I didn't mind the bad things (pollution, government office red tape, poor infrastructure, chaos).  But it is because of the people that I can't bear to be here anymore.

In the beginning, it was people's curiosity that struck me.  At first, I even thought it was nice.  People will ask each other anything, even private questions that are considered rude to Americans (what is your salary, etc).  But human nature is to enjoy talking about oneself, and it is nice to have any conversation when you are alone in a new country.  I later learned that when you ask an Indian the same questions, they will cleverly avoid giving any information away.  The Indian is more than simply curious.  They either want to laugh at you, or use you (as a connection to getting a better job, selling you something, or worse).

Indians do not have hobbies like Americans.  This is a developing country, so there is not as much free time or extra money for developing hobbies.  Most free time is spent chatting with friends and family.  It amazes me to hear them talk about the same thing day after day after day.  And they talk SO much.  Even the few with time and money for hobbies, don't seem to be interested to do anything other than talk, mostly about food and movies.  So I am bored even when surrounded by others.

The maturity of Indians seems to get stuck around age 13, and just stays there until they get married off.  Maybe this is caused by the super-protection of girls in Indian families.  Once they are set free as adults, the young men and women act like fools - trying to get attention.  It is not becoming on a beautiful 25 year old woman to giggle like a teenager and talk extra extra loud.  And when choosing western clothes, why do they always choose the stupid message t-shirts ("I'm too gorgeous for you" or "My girlfriend is out of town"...)?

Side Note: why can't people figure out how to use elevators?  You press the up arrow if you want to go up, and the down arrow if you want to go down.  Too difficult?  Ok, then use the escalator.  Oh wait, you are afraid to step onto the escalator, so that a huge crowd will gather behind you while you stare at the moving walkway in fear?  Stairs???  Don't be silly, that would require using your legs...

Even children are little demons.  Out on the street, they try and talk to me.  If I ignore them, they will spit or shout abuses (yes I know plenty of swear words in Hindi).  If I say hi or even just smile, they beg for money.

Work is also frustrating here.  I prefer a flat working structure.  But in India, people are shocked if you make your own copies, do your own labwork, or tie your own shoes.  I don't want to manage 10 people.  I don't want to ask people to do every little thing for me (when I can do it just as fast, and do it right).  But I still want to make important decisions and be respected.  That position does not exist here.

So I have had a lot of fun here in India.  Travelling and making a few good friends (none in Bangalore).  But now that I am alone in Bangalore, there is nothing new for me to see.  Even in the rare good moments, I have no one to share the experience with.

So see you in the US!

2 comments:

  1. Tamed india/indians? No, that's an oxymoron.

    Naturally, india is chaotic but I can't imagine india being anything other than that. Most indophiles themselves take a break because they can't take it for long periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I like the chaos of India. When I visit the west now, I find it unnatural to see people standing patiently in queues, politely distanced from each other...

    ReplyDelete