As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Monday, April 25, 2011

Ankleshwar

I decided to visit my friend D in Ankleshwar.  She is only 3.5 hours away by train.  However, many of my fiends and coworkers warned me against it.  They said "trains aren't safe", "Ankleshwar is too polluted", and "her in-laws won't appreciate you imposing on them".  Not a single person in Ahmedabad was supportive.  I went anyway.  D needed some distraction from her boredom, and I was super homesick and needed a distraction from that as well.

As it turns out, everyone in Ahmedabad was wrong.

I took "sleeper class" for my train ride.  It is non-air conditioned, but there are open windows.  Even in the 106F heat, it wasn't bad at all.  It only cost 130 rupees each way (less than $4).  I could have easily afforded a first class AC coach, but I am getting sick of associating with the stuck-up upper middle class segment of India.  The people in sleeper class are more fun and friendly.  I made friends each way.  I bought tea for my train friends on my way there, and was given peanuts by neighbors on the way back.

Ankleshwar is a small city.  It is termed a "village" even though it has 60,000 residents.  The city is known for its chemical plants and oil refineries, but I didn't notice any smells or pollution duing my visit.

D's new family is Punjabi.  I had great food at their home (lots of non-veg, a nice change).  I practiced my Hindi and they seemed to appreciate my attempts.  We toured the neighborhood, went to an engagement ceremony, visited the temple that D was married in, and I learned to make roti and paratha!  I am thinking of even making roti at home for myself.

Before going to Ankleshwar, I got so homesick, I was thinking seriously of going back to Philly and leaving India for good.  Even though Ankleshwar is not a "tourist location", it was so nice to see some new sights and just the genuine goodness of families in india.  D's neice was especially sweet and friendly.  I now have a renewed excitement to stay here for a long time!

On the train




Riding scooter with friend, the ladies all wrap up like this to protect themselves from the sun and dust



Random ladies wanted pics of us


Boys playing cricket




Neighbors are moving out


Engagement Ceremony


Sikh temple will feed anyone, I love this...





D's family auto parts business


I rode a scooter, not yet ready for Ahmedabad traffic...

 

Sugarcane juice, yum

No comments:

Post a Comment