As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Last Day of Work

After much back-and-forth, I am surely leaving Ahmedabad.  Today is my last day of work.

Sorry if this post is a repeat of things I have already said.  But it is everything on my mind as I decide to stay in India or go.

After a year and a half in India, my favorite things to do have become:  shopping, spa, watching movies, and eating street food.  Movies, spa and shopping I can do in the US.  Only street food is tough for me to leave.  Of course I can get Philly street food (cheesesteaks, falafel) instead of Indian (pani puri, vadapav, pao bhaji, masala chass to drink out a plastic bag).  I have done all the traveling that I wanted to do.  I never saw Kerala or Tibet region.  I saw enough to be satisfied - Delhi, Bangalore, Ragasthan (Udaipur/Jodhpur/Jaipur), Goa, Mumbai, Mysore, Agra (Taj Mahal), Ooty/Nainital and some other hill stations, and village life in Uttar Pradesh.  It was always as interesting to see real Indian life as a local, as it was to be a tourist.  I have certainly lived the real life here, and I have loved it.  I don't live in an ex-pat bubble.

I have become tan.  I found that I look very cute in Indian kurti (tunic shirt), so I will bring a bunch home.  I have challenged my introverted personality here.  I have become more willing to pick up the phone, haggle with vendors, speaking in a new language, and interacting with people I don't know.  I had no choice to do this if I wanted to survive, in my job and outside.  It was not easy, but it has been really good for me.  I hope to continue to improve, even in the US - where it is easy to become a hermit.

I miss comedy clubs, pubs, my dog, and friends who understand me.  I miss baseball.  I miss women being equal to men.  I miss the I miss the ability to be "invisible", when I don't feel like being stared at or spoken to.  Mumbai would have provided these things (substitute cricket for baseball), but it looks like the Mumbai job may not materialize.

I don't mind the struggles of life here (pollution, cheap things breaking, household chores done in basic ways, bucket showers, government bureaucracy - like my visa/FRRO and driver's license challenges).  My low salary is OK because things are cheap here, and I live a simple life (I do buy expensive designer clothes but I skip the expensive car in favor of bike/auto-rickshaw).  Sure, my salary is high compared to the average Indian.  I don't need to support my parents, children, or various out-of-work uncles/brothers like many Indians...  So I do understand that the struggles of my life are not so tough as compared to others here.  I do hope to have fewer struggles in my job (money for better software/equipment, coworkers coming to meetings on time, coworkers with better communication/presentation skills).

Since announcing my decision, everyone in the city (landlord, neighbors, friends, coworkers) have been asking me to come to their home for dinner before I go.  Of course I have been avoiding these invites.  Surely the food would be good, but you know I hate food being pushed on me like the Drill Sergeant in Full Metal Jacket.  Plus I hate to play the role of "slightly stupid newcomer to india".  Although I have finally memorized my standard answers to the following inevitable questions:
What food do eat at home?
Do you understand the rules of cricket?
What do you like/hate about India?
Do you watch Bollywood movies?

I am obliged to give a few "parties" as I have talked about before.
  • Work party: People sitting in uncomfortable silent circle.  Then they take turns saying good things about you and areas for improvement, eat snacks, leave.
  • Restaurant party:  One for work group, one for friend circle at work, one for each group of friends outside work.  More fun than work party.  More speeches.
  • Treat party:  I give all coworkers sweets from a sweetshop as I say "goodbye, all the best".
  • Bus party:  Stop work bus to get street food.  More speeches.
  • Drink party:  Self-explanatory, and the most fun party.  No speeches, thank God.
On Tuesday I will take a train to Delhi and spend some time with friends before returning to US.  My bags are nearly all packed and I will not return to Ahmedabad.

I will blog a lot in the next few weeks, as I will be bored without work.  I promise to talk about other things than US/India comparison!

No comments:

Post a Comment