As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Sunday, January 1, 2012

airports

I travelled to see some friends on NYE.  I have flown many times around India now (at least 12 round trips to Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore).

In the US, I also flew all the time, and it was a very efficient process.  TSA has some stupid rules after Sept 11, but everyone knows the rules and abides.  Take off your shoes and belt at security, only small amounts of liquids on carry-on, etc.

In the US, every once in a while, I would get behind that small-town family that seemed to flying for the first time.  They didn't have their ID's ready, forgot to print their eTicket, have 25 bags, didn't remove the metal from their pockets, kids are running around like devils...

In India, it seems like 60% of the people are similar to the families above.  I really don't think it is because these people have never travelled in planes before, it is just because they are a little careless and selfish.  It is not in people's nature here to care about the needs of a stranger.  No one will hesitate to cut in line, make someone else wait in a retail store while they ask 100 questions to a salesperson, etc.  That being said, I do admit that when a person is lost or hurt, an Indian is more helpful than an American.

OK, happy new year!  I am looking forward to 2012 in India.  A new bike will be in future, along with many other good things, Inshallah...

No comments:

Post a Comment