As you know, I am embarking on a journey. I am moving from Philadelphia to Ahmedabad, India to work and experience a new culture. I'm sure it will be challenging, but hopefully fun and surely an eye opening experience. I've never blogged before. I will try to keep it fun and not too boring. I ship off 17Jan2011. No turning back now!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Work Retreat at Mount Abu

Lucky me got to attend a weekend work retreat after my first week on the job.  At first I groaned.  Sounds like a lame way to waste a precious weekend, right?  Well, I was totally wrong.  First of all, it was a great way to get to know my new colleagues in a relaxed atmosphere.  Second, Mt. Abu was beautiful.  Third, it was in the state of Rajasthan, where alcohol is legal - yippee!

The 5 hour bus ride quickly led me to understand that this would be a fun visit.  We had a blast in the back playing charades.  Granted, I didn't know half the movies that were acted out because they were bollywood films.  I didn't catch the answers to most of the other half because the were yelling out the answers in hindi.  But I had a good laugh anyway at the guys (poorly) trying to act out the clues, and they tried to include me as much as possible.





We had a short meeting in the hotel, followed by free time for sight seeing.  Supriya and I went to a beautiful Jain temple with amazing marble carvings, to a lake, browsed small shops, then to sunset point.  We took a ride in a wheelbarrow up to sunset point for 50 rupees.  The walk would not have been difficult, but it seemed like a funny thing to do...


 
Guns for sale, right on the street!

Lake

American Sweet Corn

My wheelbarrow ride

Sunset Point




That night we had a party at the hotel.  I've never seen anyone dance like I saw my coworkers dance.  Even without alcohol, they were getting crazy on the dancefloor, nerdy ones and all.  And best of all, it was guy-on-guy dancing!  They are not gay (as far as I know), that is just how they dance here, since girl-guy bumping and grinding is not socially acceptable...  I really had a blast and now I feel that I know my coworkers much better.

 



On the bus ride down the mountain

Monkeys!



No comments:

Post a Comment